Top 5 Dehumidifiers to Buy
In a tropical country like India, the weather remains hot and humid for most parts of the year. Humidity, in a very simple form, can be described as the presence of water vapor and moisture in the air. High humidity makes the weather unpleasant, unbearable, sweaty, and salty.
Although air conditioners reduce the temperature to a satisfactory extent but fail to decrease the water vapor levels and thus, the uncomfortable surroundings prevail. As they say, technology has the solution for every problem, to combat the sticky weather conditions you are tired of, “Dehumidifiers” emerge as the Messiah!
Dehumidifiers are the appliances that decrease the level of water vapor in the air, eventually reducing the humidity and making the environment pleasant and amicable. High levels of moisture serve as the thriving point of dust mites, molds, and other allergens.
Using of dehumidifiers leads to removal of such undesirable living organisms from your periphery. Prolonged warm and humid conditions lead to the proliferation of such allergens and are potential threats as well.
Such organisms become one of the major factors for the bad and foul odor in the houses, basements, store-houses even in living rooms. For all such issues, dehumidifiers become inevitable to ensure you amiable living conditions.
In this article, we will explain to you why dehumidifiers are needed and what are the factors you need to consider before buying one. You will also know what are the different types of dehumidifiers and how dehumidifiers work? We have provided a list of 5 best dehumidifiers available online.
Top 5 Best Dehumidifiers to Buy
ProductAverage User RatingPrice RangeBest Price Kedsum Fcc Approved Small Thermo-electric Dehumidifier Our Pick 3.9/5 Powerpye 20l/Day 320-watts 2in1 Dehumidifier And Air Purifier Environment-friendly 4.3/5 Eva-dry Electric Petite Portable Dehumidifier Whisper Technology 3.7/5 Honeywell Dh70w Energy Star 70-pint Dehumidifier Energy Efficient 3.8/5 Better & Brighter Homecare 500ml Dehumidifier Practical And Compact 3.3/5
Need Of Dehumidifiers:
- Decreasing humidity: The moisture in the air can be excellently dealt with and reduced using dehumidifiers. Increased levels of water vapors make your day unpleasant, and the ambiance is not well accepted.
- Dealing fungus and allergens: Warm and humid atmosphere make the dust mites, fungus, and molds sustain and reproduce at a faster rate. They can eventually adverse your lifestyle by invading your body through food or contact. Reducing the humidity ensures you to get rid of them!
- Water stains: In closed rooms, high humidity leads to water stains on walls and furniture that ruin the look of your dream place and create additional issues.
- Bad odor: Humidity coupled with fungus and allergens lead to foul smell and prolongation of such conditions cannot be solved using room fresheners as well. To solve the root cause, dehumidifiers become necessary.
- Allergic Reactions: The dust mites, mold spores, fungus, and other microbes are potential allergens and proliferation of such undesirable species may lead to health issues.
How Does Dehumidifier Work?
The primary and basic job of dehumidifiers is to “dehumidify,” that is, decrease the humidity of the atmosphere by regulating the moisture level in the air. Decreasing the humidity makes it inhospitable for the thriving mites, molds, fungus, and other harmful allergens.
The mechanism that these appliances follow is pretty simple: condensation. The water vapor present in the air, which is in gaseous state condenses into the liquid state; as a result, the moisture content in the air decreases and the air around you becomes pleasant, and you get your non-humid atmosphere.
The humid air from the surroundings move into the dehumidifiers through the inlet/fans and passes by the refrigerant cooled coils. The warm and humid air cools down due to these coils; as the air becomes colder, the ability to hold water vapors declines. This results in condensation of water vapors into water reducing the moisture content in the air.
This condensed water gets collected in certain chambers or outlets. The water is either removed periodically, mechanically or drainage pipes are preinstalled for drainage of the water at regular intervals. Pumps are used for the removal of the condensate.
The new cool air with reduced moisture content is slightly heated and the warm, yet the non-humid air is discharged into the room. The air is slightly heated to maintain the efficiency of the dehumidifier at an optimum level. This simple yet effective strategy keeps your home safe from bad odor and harmful pathogens.
Types Of Dehumidifiers:
These type of dehumidifiers use refrigerated cooling coils that help in condensation of the humid and warm air that leads to a reduction in moisture content in the air. The condensate then is removed either mechanically or by installed drain hose pipes.
These dehumidifiers are quite effective for all types of weather conditions and all rooms. They come with different capacity and sizes satisfying the varied multitude of needs.
These appliances can be either used in units for specific rooms or can be centralized and fixed for the entire house. They have certain classifications again depending on the availability of the drain hose pipes that act as the outlet for expelling the condensate.
In other cases, the chamber needs to be emptied mechanically. Certain dehumidifiers come with an automated system where the dehumidifier stops when the water collecting chamber gets full.
These dehumidifiers contain desiccative substances which have an affinity for moisture or water vapor. These dehumidifiers come handy and portable. But they are not as effective as the electronic\mechanical dehumidifiers and do not reduce moisture to a large extent.
They can be used for short intervals at certain locations like bathroom, cars, or washrooms. They are much cheaper than the rest of the dehumidifiers and need no maintenance cost. They contain certain hydrophilic substances like silica gel that adsorb the water molecules from the air and reduce the humidity.
These types of dehumidifiers majorly help in removal of humid air instead of reducing the moisture content. They work by using an exhaust fan that expels air outside the room and filling the room with acceptable or pleasant air from outside.
These dehumidifiers can be used in closed rooms like storerooms, basements, or other such places. They are cheaper than mechanical dehumidifiers and need less maintenance as well. But their effectiveness is not quite satisfactory because the moisture content is not reduced by them rather only expelled from the room, bringing less humid air into the room.
While choosing the appropriate dehumidifier, you need to look for certain parameters:
Moisture Removal Rate:
This becomes the basic and most important criteria to know the efficiency and characteristics of the dehumidifier. Usually, the dehumidifiers are categorized on the basis of the number of pints of moisture removed per day.
Greater the humidity you experience, greater the pint of moisture is needed to be removed. Additionally, the dehumidifiers with a greater magnitude of moisture removal rate take less time in reducing the moisture content.
Usually, dehumidifiers come with ratings in square or cubic footage. Size of the dehumidifiers depends primarily on the humidity levels and size of the room. The decision should also incorporate the airflow conditions of the area is well ventilated, and the room with good air flow has less moisture content. Usually, 50-70 pint dehumidifiers can acceptably reduce the moisture content in normal sized rooms.
For example, when the room is slightly damp, and the room is about 1000sq. Ft, a 30-pint dehumidifier is a wise option; on the other hand, you might require a 50-pint dehumidifier for wet weather conditions.
If your room experiences a very wide range of temperature, you need a dehumidifier that can be operated over such range. Features like defroster should be taken care of while you are concerned about the temperature ranges.
Availability of PUMP:
The condensate needs to be removed periodically from the chamber. Not all dehumidifiers come with automatic drainage system; sometimes you need to remove the water mechanically which might be inconvenient. You might look for the dehumidifiers with proper pumping and installed drain hose connection.
If you install centralized dehumidifiers, that may charge you a huge sum of electricity bills, so energy efficient dehumidifiers should be prioritized. The energy saving ratings should not be ignored, as well.
Although dehumidifiers are less noisy than ACs, noise can be the determining point of your decision. Less noisy and ear-friendly dehumidifiers get an edge over the others because it is all about comfort!
Ease of Use:
While buying the dehumidifier, you need to take care of the sophistication of its usage. Mobility and portability become a major criterion under this. Other features like drainage, water level control are also important.
Brand and Warranty:
A trustworthy brand’s dehumidifiers should be prioritized because they have been ensuring quality products for many years. Warranty periods are also crucial while choosing electronic devices.
1. Kedsum Fcc Approved Small Thermo-electric Dehumidifier – Our Pick
Searching for a light and compact dehumidifier, that too at an affordable price? Then KEDSUM FCC brings you the best option. This 500ml capacity dehumidifier comes with a stylish and elegant appearance which beats its older models. With a size of 6 x 5 x 8.6 inches, the appliance is quite light, easy to move, and portable. According to your need, the appliance can be moved to different locations.
The model has Ultra Quiet Peltier Whisper Technology that ensures quiet operation of the dehumidifier with minimum sound without compromising your soundless sleep.
The appliance best suits rooms with an area of 108 square feet irrespective of different rooms ranging from bathrooms to bedrooms. At a very affordable price, it ensures removal of moisture to an appreciable extent and thus terminating the thriving of molds, fungus and dust mites. Main Features
- It has a thermo-electric cooling system without the use of a compressor that reduces the noise level and additional maintenance cost.
- The dehumidifier automatically stops when the water reservoir stops.
- Eliminates the water stains, fungus, dust mites, molds, and other undesirable allergens.
- Good for 108 square feet rooms.
- Removes up to 8.8 ounces of moisture/ day.
- Removable 17.6 Oz water tank.
PROS (What we liked)
- Produces very minimal sound that ensures no disturbances and proper sleep at nights.
- Easy to carry, highly compact and portable due to its lightweight and desirable size.
- The dehumidifier automatically turns off when the reservoir gets full
- LED system for indicating when the reservoir becomes full.
CONS (What we didn’t like)
- The reservoir needs to be emptied mechanically at periodic intervals.
- Not concerned enough about energy savings.
2. Powerpye 20l/Day 320-watts 2in1 Dehumidifier And Air Purifier – Environment-friendly
While you experience excessive dampness during summer due to high humidity, this dehumidifier ensures you to provide a comfortable experience minimizing the moisture content from the air. It is highly effective in controlling the growth of molds, mildews, fungus, and other allergens in your room.
The appliance has an oscillating function that can be switched from 45 degrees to 90 degrees. It ensures humidity removal by 40-80 % and suitable for rooms of 280-380 square feet. It has a capacity of extraction of 20 liters of water daily, making the dehumidifier highly efficient for larger rooms.
The appliance has an air flow of 165 CBM per hour with a variance of 10 percent. Moreover, it uses R-134A refrigerant that is CFC free, which makes it eco-friendly.
Special care needs to be taken, and the machine needs to be kept in standing original vertical position before use to avoid gas leakage or such emissions. Main Features
- It has a new Auto-frost technology that makes the surrounding chilled automatically.
- The LED Display system is quite efficient and shows a wide range of information, including humidity levels, temperature( 1 degree- 35 degrees), battery.
- It uses about four units per day if the dehumidifier remains in running condition for 24 hours in auto mode. This makes the dehumidifier energy efficient as well.
- The appliance comes with two years of warranty and five years of warranty for the compressor.
PROS (What we liked)
- Clothes Dry mode that removes moisture from fabrics.
- Suitable for larger rooms including bedrooms, dining spaces, and living rooms.
- CFC free and environment-friendly.
- The capacity of extracting 20 liters of water per day.
CONS (What we didn’t like)
- Does not ensure warranty for liquid emissions or gas leakage.
- Might be slightly louder as compared to other top-rated dehumidifiers
3. Eva-dry Electric Petite Portable Dehumidifier Edv – Whisper Technology
With growing trends of weather and climate changes, what remains constant in almost every season is humidity. It not only makes you feel uncomfortable but also encourages the growth of molds and fungus that may grow on walls, pillars, and even in your food that have an adverse effect on your health. But Eva Dry dehumidifiers are the solutions to such issues.
It also comes with a 9V power adapter for powering up the device. It has a unique feature of color change indicator that indicates when the humidity levels appreciably drop down. Main Features
- It is quite compact in size and portable
- It is quite effective in removing moisture in small rooms including kitchens, closets, basements, where the humid air gets condensed, eventually decreasing the water vapor levels in the air.
- This dehumidifier is excellent in terms of energy savings.
- It ensures the elimination of bad odor and fungus from the rooms.
- The dehumidifiers come with an auto-shut system where it automatically shuts down when the reservoir gets filled.
PROS (What we liked)
- Compact size and portable and can be easily moved from one place to another.
- Low energy consumption.
- Whisper Technology and no use of a compressor.
- Automatic shutting system that turns off the device automatically when the reservoir gets filled.
- A color indicator for indicating changes in humidity levels.
CONS (What we didn’t like)
- Inapplicable for larger rooms.
- Poor design and style.
4. Honeywell Dh70w Energy Star 70-pint Dehumidifier – Energy Efficient
This 70-pint dehumidifier has multiple advanced technologies that ensure greater removal of moisture from the air and prevents the proliferation of molds, mildews, and fungus. Due to its larger capacity and functioning, it is highly efficient for middle and large sized rooms.
The dehumidifier comes with smooth rolling wheels and handles attached to the base and sides, respectively that makes the appliance portable and movable to the desired location. It has the automatic shutting technique that stops the device when the moisture collecting reservoir gets filled.
The advanced LED system keeps you updated about the water level at the front side. The full tank light and the audible alert system makes it more convenient to use. The product comes with a warranty of 5 years for all the parts of the appliance. Main Features
- The condensate (water) can be drained out continuously using hose pipes that discard the additional labor one has to do for removal of the water mechanically.
- The device also has an anti-spill tank stand that collects 14.4 pints of moisture and prevents overflowing of water and easy disposal of water.
- The appliance comes with smart digital humidistat control that automatically recognizes the humidity levels and accordingly activates dehumidification to desired levels to control the moisture content.
- It has the ability to operate at low temperatures and contains 24-hour energy saving timer as well.
- It has got an additional feature of auto-restart that makes the appliance automatically switched on after the power outage.
PROS (What we liked)
- Energy star qualified appliance, ensuring low energy consumption.
- Detachable water tank and washable air filters.
- Smart digital humidistat control that automatically regulates humidity levels.
- Auto restart option available.
- Full tank indicator and alert system.
CONS (What we didn’t like)
- Cannot be used for small rooms.
- Highly expensive.
5. Better & Brighter Homecare 500ml Dehumidifier – Practical And Compact
Ideal for small indoor spaces including closets, bathrooms, garages, a kitchen this dehumidifier removes moisture and water vapor levels from the air providing you with a pleasant experience. This becomes ideal for removing dampness, musty odor, and fungus from the pillars, cupboards, ceilings, furniture. Main Features
- The dehumidifier has a small and effective 500 ml water tank that collects the condensate.
- This ensures removal of 250 ml of moisture daily and hence fits for small rooms and closets up to 150 sq.ft or 1100 cubic feet.
- The dehumidifier is quite convenient and easy to use.
- The appliance is safe and energy efficient.
- The dehumidifier operates at low noise level ensuring smooth and comfortable operation.
- It comes with energy efficient 25W ETL certified adapter to prevent overheating for safer use.
PROS (What we liked)
- Ideal for small rooms.
- The dehumidifier has auto shut off features that ensure the dehumidifier stops while it reaches the peak of its capacity.
- An LED indicator is available.
- Quite safe and energy efficient.
- Operates at low noise levels.
CONS (What we didn’t like)
- No assurance of warranty available.
- Unfit for larger rooms.
Here we present the list of top 10 dehumidifiers which have many new advanced technologies and much more convenient than the traditional ones. Humidity has become a serious issue for our lifestyle that gets accompanied by the hot and polluted environment.
Dehumidifiers are the best option to get rid of such issues that ensure you a comfortable and pleasant experience in your homes and offices. It additionally keeps a check on the growth and proliferation of molds, mildews, fungus, and other harmful allergens that have the potential to affect our environment and our physical health adversely.
The damp and musty odor along with water stains on walls, furniture, instruments, fabrics can also get rid of by the use of dehumidifiers. So, what are you stopping for? Choose the dehumidifier that suits your demands and living conditions and assures yourself with a pleasant lifestyle.